Saturday, December 26, 2015

December + End of 2015 WIP Marathon Post

Things I'm glad I did in 2015:
-finally completed a draft
-finished reading 21 books, 2/3 of which I either loved or really liked (unusual for me)
-started making serious headway in planning my medical career
-had a few really meaningful patient interactions - there's not much I can do for many of them, but it turns out listening and empathy go a long way
-made an entire dress with a hoop skirt by hand, without a pattern


In 2016 I'd love to:
-finish editing the novel
-read at least 30 books from this list
-publish a few research papers
-get good at interviewing
-finish a super secret sewing project inspired by one of my favorite books from 2015

***

Last check in: figuring out how to edit chapter 2

Currently: about 600 words into chapter 2 edits

WIP issues this month: By the end of last month, I decided to edit chapter 2 in a way that would make it a lot simpler and probably more boring. The problem with boring is that it's a pain in the ass to write. I took a night to brainstorm and I think I figured out a way to get through it.

Things I learned in writing this month:

1. The best way to get through the boring scenes is to make them as short as possible.

2. I'm SO over books and movies where the primary focus is on "misunderstood artistic genius." (My mom wanted to see Youth yesterday, and it's basically Guy in Your MFA for old rich people.)

Distractions:

I was rear-ended at the beginning of the month, and dealing with it was both time-consuming and very stressful, especially because the other driver was uninsured and was acting kinda sketchy. (Lesson learned: always call the police at the scene. Although filing your own police report is legally considered the same thing, it will save you a lot of mental anguish if you take care of everything right then and there. Luckily, I remembered to get all of her information, including her driver's license number (which sounds obvious, but when you're shaken up after a car wreck you tend to forget things like that) and my insurance company is coming after her now.) Everything is mostly dealt with now, but I still don't have my car back.

I was hoping to get a lot of writing done this week, but I was sick for two days, and I'm so out of the habit of writing that it's hard to get back in.

Also, Jessica Jones is quite possibly one of my new favorite things. (Warning - it's pretty dark)

Books:

Finished:
-Seraphina - I loved it, minus some cheesiness at the end

Currently reading:
-The Ocean at the End of the Lane (audio) - I like it
-Sorrow's Knot
-The Second Mango

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...