Saturday, October 31, 2015

WIP Marathon October Update

Last check-in: 2220 words into chapter 1

Currently: 1997 words into chapter 1

WIP issues this month: In the original draft, I didn't include the scene where the protagonist convinces her friend to come to a magical world, but after further consideration, I decided the scene belonged here. I started that scene a month or two ago, but it wasn't until this month when I decided the scene wasn't working. I was hoping to use it to introduce more characters, but it turned out to be lengthy and word-count inefficient, so I started re-writing it. This does mean I'll have to wait until later to introduce one or two characters, though.

Things I learned in writing:

1. If you get bored and frustrated every time you sit down to write a scene, you need to go back to the drawing board.

2. Sometimes (usually) the simplest way is the best way.

Distractions: My 12-hour-a-day trauma surgery rotation left very little time for writing. I also spent most of my week off working on my Halloween costume and watching Reign and iZombie.

Books:

Finished:
-Made You Up - okay if you ignore the fact that it gets schizophrenia horribly wrong

Currently Reading:
-Sorrow's Knot - still having trouble getting into it
-In the Shadow of Blackbirds (audio) - really liking it

Did Not Finish:
-The Casual Vacancy (audio) - boring


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...