Tuesday, October 28, 2014

New Adult Recommendation: Made of Stars


I read Kelley York's Hushed two years ago and liked it a lot, so when a blogger acquaintance of mine reviewed Made of Stars, it reminded me that I'd been planning to read this one too.

I love the way Kelley York writes complicated, nuanced characters and relationships. I loved everything about Chance--his spontaneity and impulsiveness, his compulsive lying tendencies, the way he loved the Jackson family and they loved him back despite everything. I also liked how Hunter, Ashlyn, and Rachael the other characters had very distinct and relatable personalities. Ashlyn's the conflict-resolver, while Hunter is more of an uncertain people-pleaser. Rachael is a bit of a control freak, but I appreciated how she wasn't completely villainized for this, and that Hunter was equally to blame for the failings in their relationship.

The romance was beautifully done, and that's a huge compliment coming from me.

I have mixed feelings about the ending. I loved that it was bittersweet and that it left things a little bit ambiguous. However, I don't know that I would call the ending "satisfying."

Stylistically, my only complaint is that Ashlyn and Hunter's voices sounded identical.

Overall, I highly recommend this novel, and I am most definitely adding Kelley York to my "automatic buy" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...