Friday, July 4, 2014

Book Review: Premeditated


I was very annoyed with this book at first, mainly because of the writing style. I never realized there was a thing as too many clever quips, but this book manages to achieve that. Pretty much every paragraph ends with some sort of snarky comment, to the point where it seriously slows down the narration. (It also doesn't help that most of Dinah's clever quips aren't all that clever or funny.)

One of the reasons I was excited to pick up this book was that Dinah sounded like a smart, scheme-y character (what with planning a revenge campaign and all). That...definitely wasn't the case. Most of the "plotting" and brainwork (all of it, actually) were carried out by Dinah's two friends, Tabs and Brucey, both of whom were much more interesting characters than she was. (I'm kind of sad that I don't have a Brucey in my life.) Dinah, meanwhile, misses a lot of very obvious developments. She's kind of an idiot, actually. (I don't know about you, but when someone tells me that his best friend isn't allowed on the property, the first thing I do is ask why.)

One of the big reasons I started getting excited about this book was that I guessed the big reveal a little over 100 pages in and I wanted to keep reading to see if my theory was right. (It was.) In fact, I think most attentive readers should be able to guess it by the time they're halfway through the book, since by then it's fairly obvious.

Premeditated did get better as it went along. There were some very powerful scenes involving Dinah's cousin, and the author took good care to really develop a couple of her secondary characters. The romance was also well done.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not to list this book as "recommended" or not. I'll leave it up to readers to decide for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...