Sunday, March 23, 2014

Summary Reactions 2: Half Bad

"Summary Reactions" is a series of posts where I analyze the Goodreads summaries of books heavily-hyped books that I haven't read yet but am planning to read.

Half Bad is a recently-released YA fantasy, and from what I heard, a lot of people have given it great reviews.

***

"Half Bad by Sally Green is a breathtaking debut novel about one boy's struggle for survival in a hidden society of witches.

You can't read, can't write, but you heal fast, even for a witch. (It's been a long time since I've read a book about an illiterate character.)

You get sick if you stay indoors after dark. (Oh?)

You hate White Witches but love Annalise, who is one.

You've been kept in a cage since you were fourteen.

All you've got to do is escape and find Mercury, the Black Witch who eats boys. (Intriguing. Awesome.) And do that before your seventeenth birthday.

Easy."

***

They must have changed the summary for this book, because the original left me feeling very "eh." (It talked about Black Witches and White Witches and how the protagonist was both. The whole categorizing of good vs evil made me roll my eyes.) This summary is awesome though. There are a lot of weird details, and yet it's still pretty vague. That combination works really well.

I'm very curious about this book.

Edit 6/18/2014: My review of Half Bad can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...