Monday, March 3, 2014

Book Recommendation: Palace of Spies, by Sarah Zettel



Goodreads Summary:

A warning to all young ladies of delicate breeding who wish to embark upon lives of adventure: Don't. 

Sixteen-year-old Peggy is a well-bred orphan who is coerced into posing as a lady in waiting at the palace of King George I. Life is grand, until Peggy starts to suspect that the girl she's impersonating might have been murdered. Unless Peggy can discover the truth, she might be doomed to the same terrible fate. But in a court of shadows and intrigue, anyone could be a spy—perhaps even the handsome young artist with whom Peggy is falling in love...

History and mystery spark in this effervescent series debut.

***

I don't read a lot of historical fiction or mysteries, but books like this make me think that maybe I should. Several years ago, I read and enjoyed Sarah Zettel's A Sorceror's Treason, so when I heard that another one of her books was going to be at BEA, I made sure to snag a copy.

It was a very good decision. I was hooked from the first chapter--mostly because of Peggy's clever and engaging voice. The story was fun, too. I appreciated how Peggy was intelligent without being infallible, and I loved her relationship with her cousin, Olivia. (Another example of a story where female friendships CAN and DO work!) The story did ask me to suspend more disbelief than I normally would, and there were times when the story couldn't decide whether or not there was supposed to be a love triangle, but otherwise, this was a very enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...