Saturday, January 25, 2014

WIP Marathon Check-in #8

Last check-in: 1000 words into re-writing chapter 8 (22,700 words)

Currently: Finished the first scene in chapter 8. I'm about 1600 words in, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with it.

As a result, half of my writing this week involved later scenes that I never got around to writing in the last draft. I made a lot of progress on those chapters, and I'm only about 5 scenes away from the end of the novel.

WIP issues this week: The second scene of chapter 8. Originally, there was a big fight scene at the beginning, but due to the changes I made to the first scene, there is less of a necessity for a fight. I'm not really sure what to do at this point:

Reasons not to write the fight scene:
-this scene doesn't transition into it well
-my word count is already too long
-it's mostly between secondary characters (This is more of a reason other people wouldn't want me to write the fight scene. Personally, I place an enormous amount of value on my secondary characters.)

Reasons to write the fight scene:
-there was a lot of buildup to it, and you can't just build up to a fight scene without including a fight scene
-revealing the secondary characters' magical abilities (some will come into play later on)
-a couple elements of that fight are necessary to further the plot

What do you guys think?

What I learned this week in writing: A friend sent me this: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2012/04/10/25-reasons-i-hate-your-main-character/


What distracted me this week while writing: classes, Foreign Gods, Inc., blogging (I finally reviewed The Edge of Normal), being tired, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...