Monday, December 9, 2013

Should this bother me?

1. A few months ago, a blogger acquaintance self-published her NA novel. I wasn't sure if it was my thing, but it was on sale for $0.99, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Some time later, that same author announced that she was publishing a novel with a new e-press--except when I read the blurb, I realized it was the same novel, although it sounded like she'd made some changes to it. (I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.)

2. Last night, I couldn't sleep, but I was tired of studying, so I started a different self-published NA novel that was sitting in my Nook library. It was very readable, and involved a topic that I've never seen before. Even though I haven't finished it yet, I was curious about how the author had researched the topic, so I looked up the book and the author online. On the author's website, she announced that the book was no longer available because it had gotten her an agent.

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this. I understand that some successfully self-published books are picked up by mainstream publishers, and I doubt the authors are doing anything dishonest. And don't get me wrong, I don't judge either of these authors for trying to make their books as widely-read as possible. In fact, I'm happy for both of them.

But in the case of Book #1, I was somewhat annoyed. The summary of the book that will soon be published is very different than the summary of its self-published version. Does that mean I essentially paid for a rough draft? And what about Book #2? How much will it change if it gets picked up by a publishers? Is the novel I'm reading right now going to be the same as the novel that sits on a bookstore shelf?

What do you think? Is this something that should bother me, or is it none of my business?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...