Monday, November 25, 2013

Trapped in Story Mode - Help

I haven't written a substantial amount in the last week or two, but I did write more than I wrote in a long time (read: I finally finished re-writing chapter 2). I think this is probably why I've been trapped in story mode for the last few days. As in, my brain is chronically thinking about parts of the story--scenes I'm writing or thinking about writing, scenes I've written, scenes I'll write soon, scenes that I won't get to write for a long, long time. And while this stuff has always made up a significant portion of my daily thinking, it's been worse in the last few days. All I want to do lately is lie around and re-read old chapters and daydream about the ones I haven't written yet.

You would think this would make writing more easier, or at least more appealing, but it doesn't. Partially, that's because the scene I'm currently working on (or, I should say, the part of the scene I'm currently working on) is not the most fun to daydream about. It's one of those things where I have to get through it as quickly as possible so I can get to the good parts.

Even worse, this feeling has severely gotten in the way of my ability to study. Between story mode and being sick for a week, I have effectively stopped studying and going to most of my classes. I have lost the ability to care about school--which is bad, because I have finals coming up. My grades are stable enough in most of my classes that I can get a 50% on each final and still pass the class, but that's not how I want to end the semester.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this, exactly. I'm not looking for advice or inspiration (mostly because I probably won't listen to it anyway). It's just something I want to talk about for a few minutes. And now that I've done that, I'll go do something else.

***

Reading update: I was in a huge reading slump for the last month and a half. During that time, I tried to pick up two ARCs, but I couldn't get past the first fifty pages of either. Instead, I (infrequently) read A Dance with Dragons. I finished it yesterday, and I was somewhat disappointed. Over the course of 1000 pages, very little happened. Tyrion's arc was probably the only one with a consistently moving plotline. All the others basically dilly-dallied* for hundreds of pages. And then something would happen, but it would end on a cliffhanger. It's like I just spent the last month of my life reading a 1000-page commercial for Book 6. (Not that there weren't great scenes--it just took way too long to get there.)

Anyway, yesterday I started Palace of Spies by Sarah Zettel, and I can confidently say that my reading slump is over. Why? Because after only a chapter, I'm completely hooked on the voice.

*I learned this word from the lady in charge of the disabled riding program I volunteered at all through college. It's very far from my usual vocabulary, but in this case, the word seemed perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...