Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sometimes, you don't have a name

There are some emotions that don't have a linguistic equivalent in certain languages. One of those emotions is the one that keeps me from being a productive writer.

It's not fear, I don't think. For a while I thought it was dread, but that would imply that there was something unpleasant about it, which isn't usually the case. If anything, it's more closely related to uncertainty.

Writing is all about putting sentences together, but how can I do that if I don't know which sentence comes next?

Is there a specific name for the feeling that prevents you from doing something you don't know how to do?

***

I've handled this before. I'm at least 80,000 words into this book. It's one of those things that gets figured out eventually.

***

Right now, the best solution might be to skip this scene. It's a smaller scene that works within the plot, but has little importance of its own. I'm worried that if I put too much into it early on, I'll make it longer than it actually should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...