Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Book Recommendation: "Chime" by Franny Billingsley (audiobook)


Chime is a beautifully-written book, with a complex protagonist whom I absolutely loved. Susan Duerden does an excellent job at capturing Briony's perceptiveness and snark. I loved both Eldric and Rose, I loved the unique character of the Swampsea (this quaint and mythical village has better worldbuilding than most of the books on the YA shelf), and I really appreciated how the romance developed gradually.

Probably the one issue I had with this book is that it suffers from "Other Woman Syndrome." But that's more of a "global YA" issue than an issue with this particular book, as the "other woman" phenomenon actually worked well within the book's plot.

The beginning was also a little slow, but if you can get through it, then this is actually a very beautiful story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...