Sunday, December 9, 2012

Book Recommendation: Cinder, by Marissa Meyer



Is Cinder a good book? Honestly, I have no idea. It suffers from mediocre writing, a one-dimensional villain, and a major "big reveal" that anyone who has ever read a book can predict within the first fifty pages. It also suffered from a problem which I like to call "arbitrary discrimination." I was never exactly clear on why cyborgs are treated as second-class citizens in this society. Sure, if you have machines in your brain, I could understand why people would think you're inhuman or incapable of emotion, but what about someone with a robotic limb or vital organ? Even nowadays, nobody discriminates against people with myoelectric arms (geek moment: look up the iLimb hand. Sooo cool!) or pacemakers. So how is it possible that the whole society was okay with the government's project to draft cyborgs for medical experimentation?

But despite all of these problems, I really liked Cinder. The plot was brave and twist-y and I couldn't put it down. I also loved Kai. As other reviewers have pointed out, he was a character first, and a love interest second, something which made the romantic development more than just believable.

The second book in the series, Scarlet, comes out pretty soon, and I can't wait to read it.

***

End of the Year Review Checklist:

Keturah and Lord Death (audio)
Cinder
The Sound of Blue (New Adult)
Shadow and Bone
Blame It on Paris (New Adult) (DNF)
A Game of Thrones/A Clash of Kings
The Spirit Thief

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...