Friday, October 12, 2012

Overdue Bloggerversary Post

So it's been (over a) year since I started this blog, and that probably merits a post. Actually, that probably merited a post back in September, but I didn't have the time/motivation to do it until now.*

*Actually, the real reason I am blogging right now is that I came across an article about TV Tropes and rape, and I suddenly had the urge to scroll through that list myself. But as everyone knows, TV Tropes is the black hole of the internet, and I still have to make my room look presentable before my friend comes into town. So this post is, more than anything, a way to get my mind on something other than "I will not go on TV Tropes. I will not go on TV Tropes."

Anyway, I don't have very much to brag about blog-wise, as I only have 37 followers, and I suspect that most of them haven't looked at this blog since they clicked the "Follow via GFC" button all those months ago. But honestly, I'm okay with that. I'm not nearly at the point in my writing career where I need to start advertising myself.

I know a lot of people treat their blog like a second job. They blog regularly, and make sure all of their posts are neat and polished, and have rating systems and cutesy signatures. And that's a big part of what makes them good bloggers. But I didn't come into this wanting to be a "good blogger." I just wanted to have a place where I could share my thoughts and maybe meet some other people with a similar interest in books and writing.

On several occasions, I thought about creating a blog schedule or running a book giveaway to gain more followers. But I don't want the kind of followers who only subscribe to my blog because of the possibility of getting free stuff. I will admit, there are some blogs that I follow for no reason other than the fact that I can win free books--and that's something I'm not ashamed to admit. Those also aren't the blogs that I read. Occasionally I'll skim a post or two, but I usually just scroll through them on my RSS feed.

The blogs that I do consistently read are the ones that are more than book reviews and repetitive writing advice--they're the ones where the bloggers have opinions and ideas, and who occasionally let pieces of their own lives slip into their posts. The bloggers I enjoy are the ones with whom I would like to have a conversation.

And that's really what a blog should be: a forum for discussion (or at least that's what I want my blog to be.) If I have any goals as a blogger (other than to post more often, and be better about checking spelling and grammar before I hit 'publish'), it's to receive more comments. I love hearing what other people have to say, whether or not they agree with me. To all of you lurkers: if you have something to say, feel free to say it! I promise I won't judge you or wonder "who are you and why are you talking to me?"

(Not that I'm begging for comments in any way. If you don't have anything to say, that's okay. The best comments are the insightful ones, not the ones that were just put there for the sake of stroking a blogger's ego.)

***

Anyway, now that I've given you my whole shpiel on blogger philosophy, here's my checklist for the reviews I need to finish:

-Beta, by Rachel Cohn (ARC)
-Keturah and Lord Death, by Martine Leavitt (audio)
-The Sound of Blue, by Holly Payne (New Adult)
-Cinder, by Marissa Meyer
-Blame It on Paris, by Laura Florand (New Adult)
-Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo
-A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...