Sunday, October 7, 2012

ARC Review: "Time Between Us," by Tamara Ireland Stone


Goodreads Summary:

Anna and Bennett were never supposed to meet: she lives in 1995 Chicago and he lives in 2012 San Francisco. But Bennett has the unique ability to travel through time and space, which brings him into Anna’s life, and with him a new world of adventure and possibility.

As their relationship deepens, the two face the reality that time may knock Bennett back to where he belongs, even as a devastating crisis throws everything they believe into question. Against a ticking clock, Anna and Bennett are forced to ask themselves how far they can push the bounds of fate, what consequences they can bear in order to stay together, and whether their love can stand the test of time.


***

This is another ARC I won through a giveaway at Live to Read. (Thanks, Krystal!)

For the most part, I enjoyed this book. It started out rather dull, but Anna was a great character, and her relationships to the other characters were very well-realized. I usually don't like romance-heavy books, but the date scenes were more than just steamy and romantic--they actually sounded fun.

One thing I especially loved was how Bennett was more than just a love interest for Anna--he was a chance for her to experience the adventure she always craved. And even more than that, I loved the book's message: you can't depend on another person to make your life an adventure. One of the big problems with YA paranormal romance (and yes, this book would count as PNR) is that many female protagonists are so boring that they might as well not even exist without their Sexy Supernatural Boyfriends. This book refuses to take that route.

Unfortunately, I felt that the last chapter of the book somewhat undermined the message of self-reliance. (Not to mention the fact that I don't understand how he 'fixed' his time travel rut in the first place.) There was also an occasion where Bennett passionately argued for something that I had trouble believing would matter to him. Also, I was disappointed that I never found out what happened to his sister.

But I still recommend this book. And I'm very excited to see what other books Tamara Ireland Stone has to offer.

***

Time Between Us comes out October 9th.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...