Saturday, July 14, 2012

Giving Harsh Reviews to Under-Publicized Books

I'm currently reading an ARC of a book that comes out in August. Given that I hadn't heard of this book until my sister showed me her friend's copy, and that I never saw the author's first book on the shelves of Barnes and Noble, I assume that this is going to be one of those books that never sees the shelves of a major bookstore and that is only known to the world via word of mouth. Normally, I would be very happy to promote one of these books, except that, well, I really don't like this book.

I'm still going to review it, of course. But how, erm, blunt should I be with my opinion? If you're familiar with some of my negative reviews, you know they can be, well, pretty harsh. But those books were either a) not new releases, or b) best-sellers. In the case of this book, though, I'd feel like I was kicking something that was already trying to claw its way out of the mud. So should I be gentler? Or should I treat this novel like one of the big boys and give it the harsh review it deserves?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...