Saturday, July 28, 2012

Book Recommendation: "Stardust" by Neil Gaiman (audiobook)

I've been insanely busy this week. I'm still insanely busy, considering that I have a bunch of secondary applications to fill out for medical school and some of those require lot and lots of essays. But I just finished an essay, so I get to take a break by writing this blog post.

I mentioned earlier that I was going to review the audiobooks I listened to during my roadtrip, so here is the first one: Stardust, written and read by Neil Gaiman.


What I love about Neil Gaiman is that his stories and worldbuilding are very quirky. This book was a bit of an exception, in that it is very classic fantasy--not to the degree where it's super cliche, but it does have a lot of very common fantasy tropes.

Is that a bad thing? I wouldn't say so. What this book shows is that Gaiman can do standard fantasy fairly well. His villains are a lot of fun, and I did like the glimpses of the world that Gaiman showed us. The style is beautiful, and you do get to see a lot of Gaiman's cleverness and humor in the writing. This is a really good book to listen to, because Gaiman reads it himself, and he has a very nice voice.

I enjoyed it, but there were a few things that kept me from loving it. The feminist in me would have liked to see Yvaine as more of an active character, and the ending was a bit anti-climactic. But Gaiman's writing did make up for a lot of the flaws, and overall, this book is good for those who are looking for fantasy coming-of-age story and romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...