Sunday, February 12, 2012

Review of "The Adoration of Jenna Fox" by Mary E. Pearson

As I mentioned earlier, I'm a bit behind on non-New Adult book reviews, so it's time to start fixing this.


Like, Never Let Me Go, some people call this book dystopian, but it's more science fiction than straight-up dystopian. Most of the world-building is related to medicine and crop genetics, but otherwise, it isn't very different from our world, so the "dystopian" label might be a little misleading.

But the world-building, as limited as it was, is definitely the center of the story. And it was a very interesting world. While it was brimming with pseudoscience, I did appreciate how the author brought attention to some very real medical threats, such as rapidly growing antibiotic resistance. (Some scientists predict that antibiotics will be ineffective in as little as ten years.)

But outside of presenting a world that is simultaneously medically-advanced and medically-screwed, the book didn't do much else. Sure, there is the mystery of who is/what happened to Jenna Fox, but that counts for very little in the way of plot. Hardly anything really 'happens,' and the ending doesn't really feel like an ending.

I liked the writing style. I'm still not sure how I feel about the characters. They were okay, but most of them were pretty forgettable. I did like Alice and Lily and the neighbor (forgot his name), though.

Given my "meh" feeling about the book, I normally wouldn't pick up the sequel, but Suzanne Collins blurbed it, so that has to mean something. (I'm sure every YA dystopia author in existance is pounding on her door, so this one must have been good if she decided to blurb it. Right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...