Wednesday, December 7, 2011

How far would you go to get published?

(Question brought to you by YA Highway's "Road Trip Wednesday.")

Well, first of all, if I were the sort of person who sells herself out and writes to trends I can't stand just so I can get a big fat paycheck, I wouldn't be stupid enough to admit it on a public blog.

But, seriously, do I write to trends? Not really. I have weird taste in books, and I think I might be the only reader in the world who finds "likeable" protagonists boring. Also, I'm not a huge fan of romance or really happy endings.

But would I make some revisions after an agent or editor asks for them? Yes, if those revisions would make my story stronger. This year, I read a highly-anticipated sequel to a book I enjoyed a few years back. This author is very popular in the fantasy genre, but his sequel didn't live up to my expectations. It was about 1000 pages long, and at least 150 pages of that book didn't need to be there--and if he weren't such a popular author, then I'm sure they wouldn't be. So yes, editors are your friend.

(That, and contrary to what Anne Rice thinks, even Hemingway had an editor.)

7 comments:

  1. LOL loved your answer!
    And I agree, editors are your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree--most are not going to say "sure, I'll write anything as long as it pays!" But not all are going to draw their lines in the sand as deeply. I doubt anyone's going to give hard-and-fast "yes/no" answers. What we will and won't do depends a lot on other factors. Your editor should be your friend--but would you take his/her advice to jump genres? If you respected his/her opinion, you might.

    Thought-provoking question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this question, but I've totally had the experience where it's clear that a book hasn't been adequately edited, if at all, and it's disappointing as a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree--I'll make revisions with an editor if I agree with them, and if I think they'll make the story stronger. But to follow a trend? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! So true. Editors are there to help make your book stronger. If you have the right editor, they'll understand and already love your story anyway, and not try to turn you into a trend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate to be disappointed in a favorite author's work when everything else I've read by him was great.

    And I agree with you. Sometimes 'likable' characters can be boring. As long as the writer doesn't head-hop, I can follow almost anyone around - except really annoying protagonists.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Editors are editors for a reason--they know what they're talking about. I wouldn't automatically say no to a change just because it didn't fit with my original idea. I would seriously consider all suggestions and go from there. Besides, if the editor's THE EDITOR then his or her suggestions will make the book better, not worse. And if the suggestions would make it worse, then he or she probably isn't The One.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...