Saturday, November 26, 2011

Book Recommendation: "The Lies of Locke Lamora" and "Red Seas Under Red Skies"


   

I'm in St. Louis right now, and so far I've spent more time at my friends' apartment than I have at home. This is mostly due to the fact that a) the apartment is thirty minutes from my house, b) I am sharing a car with my sister, and c) going out with my friends involves late nights and the use of substances which make one unfit to drive. This poses a bit of a problem, because unlike my friends, I am incapable of sleeping in until three in the afternoon. So what was I doing through those long hours of lonely wakefulness? Finishing Red Seas Under Red Skies.

Red Seas Under Red Skies is the second book in Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards Sequence. I read the first book, The Lies of Locke Lamora, back in January. The books are perfect for anyone who loves thieves, intrigue, and sneaky protagonists. The world-building is not only solid, but Scott Lynch weaves societies that are both interesting and complex. Take Camorr, for example. The city is  ruled not only by the nobility, but also by an organized hierarchy of thieves and con artists. And thieving? It's a religion--literally--with a god and a temple and even rituals. (And yes, the author does manage to pull this off without making it completely ridiculous.)

Oh, and Locke and Jean have the best bromance ever.

The plot is not without it's shaky points. There is also the issue of romance--Scott Lynch kind of sucks at it. Romance is supposed to be central to the third book, which makes me a bit hesitant to read it in March. (And by hesitant, I mean that I will totally read it, although my expectations won't be as high as they should be.)

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of either of these. Glad you enjoyed them so much :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...