Saturday, September 17, 2011

Updates (Life & Writing)

Life has been hectic lately due to all of the following:

1. I moved in with my brother in New Jersey.

2. I have been looking for a job.

3. I am applying to medical school.

4. My sister-in-law's parents are in town, and they don't speak English, so I am trying to learn Italian.

I could say more about all of those, but I'm not enough of a celebrity that people would actually care what's going on in my life. So here are a few (maybe) interesting things I've learned in the last two days:

1. Every occasion can be an excuse for job networking, including children's birthday parties.

2. Always make sure you live within driving distance of a Korean spa.

3. I will never, EVER be a stay-at-home mom.

4. Whoever says knowing Spanish makes it really easy to learn Italian lied.

5. When given a choice between playing with his own toys and playing with my Italian books or the power cord of my laptop, a baby will always choose the latter.

6. The people who say that young boys won't read a book about girls probably don't know what they're talking about. My first grade niece, Kindergarten nephew, and their third grade male neighbor were watching one of those Barbie movies with fairies and ponies and a pink-and-violet color scheme, and all three of them were equally sucked in.

7. (Kind of obvious, but) Italian cooking is amazing.

Anyway, in writing news, I have received a few critiques of the first chapter of The Temple Well. Some have been more helpful than others, of course, but here are some of the general criticisms:

-Starts off a little slow.
-People were confused by Olivia's task.
-Too many mysterious hints.
-Paragraphs too short.
-The relationship between Paula and Nathaniel is confusing.
-Too much going on.
-More description is needed.

I have decided to use a different scene for the opening chapter. I originally started it with the "knocking down bells" task, because it made sense that Olivia should learn control exercises before learning magic, but this task really isn't consistent with Takiran magic, and it doesn't serve much purpose other than wasting words.

Instead, I need something that fits both the plot and theme of the story. I already have an idea of what that might be...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...