Monday, September 19, 2011

More on Critiques

I posted the first chapter of The Temple Well on Critique Circle, which for those of you who don't know, is an excellent place to receive critiques. As of today, it hit 6 critiques, the maximum number allowed for stories in the Newbie queue.

In my last post, I talked about a lot of the more critical comments I received. There was one comment I neglected to mention:

A lot of people were confused about who the main character was. If Olivia's the 'Chosen One', then she must be the main character. Right? But this scene is from Paula's point of view. And, well, it seems to focus on Paula.

Most of my responses to criticisms fall somewhere on this scale:


(Hey, my first time uploading a pic! Sorry about the crappy quality.)

Nowhere on this scale, however, is there a place for: "Yes! That is totally what I was going for!" (Well, at least not for criticisms.)

Well, in this case: Yes! That is totally what I was going for!

If I had to choose, Paula would be the protagonist of this story. Olivia falls in a very close second, but this is Paula's story first. (Which is a weird thing for me to say, because I don't really believe a story belongs to any one person. But that's a different rant.)

It seemed like a lot of the people who asked about the main character wanted it to be Olivia (or at least expected it). That confuses me. Haven't you read enough Chosen One stories? (Because if you haven't I can recommend a hundred others.) It's not like I wrote this story for the purpose of writing something groundbreaking, but I don't see why it always has to be about the Chosen One. It doesn't take much courage to fight for something when you know it's your destiny; the courageous are those who fight despite the fact that no one cares whether or not they even show up to the battle. (Not that this is supposed to represent Paula in any way--it's more of a general rant.)

So yes, these comments, if anything, reassure me that this story is going where I want it to go. And now, with that said, it's time to get more work done on my med school applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...