Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Book Recommendation: Ship Breaker, by Paolo Bacigalupi



Yesterday, I finished Ship Breaker. What's not to love? It's action-packed, and Bacigalupi isn't afraid to vividly paint a gritty, repulsive world. The world-building is excellent and BELIEVABLE (something that even The Hunger Games, which I absolutely loved, couldn't quite accomplish), and at every turn, the characters are forced to choose between their morals and their survival. In other words, it's exactly what a post-apocalyptic/"dystopia"* novel should look like.

This book wasn't perfect. Paolo Bacigalupi tends to repeat himself a lot, and I don't think it's necessary to beat his readers over the head with Nailer's every thought. Also, near the end, the story became very predictable--so predictable that I was waiting for some unexpected twist, but that twist never came. It also didn't help that I am unfamiliar with the layout of a ship. It's difficult to follow the action when you have no clue what the surroundings look like.

For the most part, though, I did love this book. I recommend it to anyone who can handle book that is by no means glamorous.

*This novel isn't dystopic. Dystopia implies some sort of failed utopia, and usually connotes some form of totalitarianism. The world in this novel is more on the anarchy side. Still, a lot of people combine "dystopia" and "post-apocalyptic" into one genre, which is why I think it's helpful to identify it as both.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, interesting. I may have to give this book a try. I'm always up for post-apocalyptic stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book on my shelf, waiting to be read, but I haven't gotten a chance yet. I've heard great things about it, and I'm happy to hear the world-building is believable. I think I'll be picking this up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must read this! I've heard such amazing things, I'm sure I would love it. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of this one; it looks like something even my husband would like. He usually rolls his eyes when I try to get him to read a YA!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...